Columbia Sportswear Company Columbia Sportswear Senior Merchandise Manager, Outerwear, US in Portland, Oregon
Columbia Sportswear Senior Merchandise Manager, Outerwear, US
United States, Oregon, Portland
1000065R Requisition #
Dec 14, 2018 Post Date
As a Regional Market Merchant Manager,you will play an integral role in the continueddevelopment and growth of Columbia Sportswear across multiple productcategories for your region. Balancing regional needs and what aligns with thebrand’s global business and strategy will need to be managed by the RegionalMarket Manager so that the Regional Market Merchant team understands the bigpicture as well.
This role requires experience in and knowledge of theoutdoor industry, market and consumer trends. In addition, as a manager you are responsible for providing vision andstrategy for your business. This person mustdemonstrate strong financial acumen skills in order to partner with salesleadership in building a multi-season strategic plan for the business. This person must demonstrate the ability topartner with sales management to effectively define and implement the right segmentationstrategies necessary to maximize revenue and profitability while improvingforecast accuracy and SKU productivity. Using this market based information,sales performance and consumer knowledge, you will influence and adopt achannel relevant product mix and assortments covering key price points.
Influencing skills, cross-functional leadership andcollaboration are essential for working with in-region and corporate stakeholderson behalf of your region. You will partnerwith multiple business stakeholders to develop best practices in order to improvecommunication, operational efficiency, process, tools and sustain seamlessworking relationships. Effective conflict management and problem-solving skillsare critical to success in this role.
Your success as a Regional Market Merchandising Manageris dependent upon your ability to attract new talent, redirect behavior orperformance and develop direct reports through TREK Conversations and GoalSetting in Success Factors (Quarterly). Talent Development is an important CSC goal and will be an importantpart of each Manager’s role.
General Responsibilities : - Regional Market Merchant Manager
- Developmarket & consumer relevant seasonal Brand aligned product assortments(multi-country and multi-channel) for your markets, leveraging history, marketknowledge, trend assessment and financial risk and reward.
- Educatesales force on seasonal product innovation & technologies, brand & productinitiatives, product assortments and marketing support.
- Pre-lineseasonally with strategic accounts through presentation of key stories,directed assortments and initiatives.
- Inpartnership with sales and planning, you will lead workstreams to develop seasonaland long term growth strategies supported by business planning.
- Partnerwith Global Merchandising leveraging your knowledge of the market, competitivelandscape, consumer and market trends in order to to ensure product needs foryour region are incorporated into the global seasonal line plan.
- Managethe seasonal product adoption & assortments for your markets (From conceptto sales meeting) to ensure seasonal financial targets and style count targetsare met.
- Partnerwith Sales Management for the coordination, presentation and sample needs ofseasonal sales meetings. Regional MarketMerchandising will present the seasonal product assortments at salesmeetings.
- Partnerwith sales and merchandising leadership to develop seasonal product line pricingstrategies that support revenue and profitability goals, while still remainingrelative and competitive in the marketplace.
- Demonstrate,effective cross-functional communication (verbal and written), collaborationand coordination throughout the seasonal product creation process.
- Partnerwith finance to manage margin and profitability for seasonal product line tohit seasonal targets.
- Leadbusiness analytical workstreams (margin, style/sku count, style/skuproductivity, forecasting, bookings and sell-thru analysis) to build teamexpertise on the regional business and the management of it.
- Alignwith sales, demand planning and marketing to develop operational andGo-To-Market plans to support Brand Strategy and Initiatives with regionalrelevance.
Market Merchant Responsibilities:
- Seasonal margin management across multiple category product lines demonstrating the ability to manage to margin targets and adjust product mix as needed. As the Manager, you are required to participate in all Seasonal Interim Margin Reviews to represent your region’s performance.
- Effectively communicate regional opportunities to Global Merchandising partners through analytics, consumer and market insights insights.
- Business plans informed by hindsighting, foresighting, marketplace knowledge, consumer trend, brand strategy and financial targets.
- Coordination, communication and alignment of product assortments and pricing across distribution channels (Omni-Channel).
- End in Mind assortment planning (including channel segmentation and retail floor capacity), delivery flow strategies, storytelling and product strategy in creating consumer’s experience.
- Multi-seasonal financial forecasts
- Adhere to GTM Calendar and Regional Merchandising accountabilities & responsibilities.
- Effectively present ideas and concepts to a diverse audiences through storytelling and business justification.
1 Marketplace Expertise(Quantitative & Qualitative)
2. Consumer Trend toinform assortments
3. Competitors - by brand, style and price point
4. Develop and own objective point-of-view ofmarket reality and predictions siting business opportunities.
- Direct retail
- Sporting goods
- Hunt / Fish / Camp
Over-arching trends in apparel and outdoor market
5. Multi-year plans reviewing past Pricing andcurrent Sell-Thru.
- Minimum of 6 yearsproduct or merchandising experience in the sportswear, outdoor or action sportsindustry.
- 3 years TeamDevelopment and Management experience
- Solid business managementskills with demonstrated financial acumen
- Strongunderstanding of the consumer, retail environment and competitive marketplace
- ThoroughPC and/or Apple MAC knowledge and proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point
- MBAand/or Bachelor’s degree in business or related discipline
- Remain highly organized and meetstrict timelines while simultaneously managing multiple teams, seasonalcalendars and projects
- Accept responsibility for unmetgoals and accountability for errors.
- Identifyand evaluate problem areas and contribute effective solutions
- Collaboratewith direct managers to achieve results
- Encourageteamwork and build business relationships based on trust and open communication
- Leadby example through clear and thoughtful research and inspire strategy-focusedresults
- Leader,communicator, listener, analytical thinker, presenter with merchandising skillset and business management experience.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age