Columbia Sportswear Company District Manager (Northwest) in Portland, Oregon
District Manager (Northwest)
United States, Oregon, Portland
1000066O Requisition #
6 days ago Post Date
The District Manager is a motivator and partner, leading and directing Store Managers (Outlet and Brand) for assigned district. Responsible for developing talent, ensuring creation of a dynamic buying environment, while meeting financial performance and KPI goals, with full P&L responsibility. The District Manager manages sales and operations for assigned number of stores within a specific geographic district which includes: providing leadership to Store Managers in attracting, developing and retaining quality staff, maintaining an exemplary customer buying environment, handling human resource issues, controlling expenses, accounting and payroll budgets and other related store operations. The District Managerensures that appropriate channels of communication exist between the stores, Regional Manager as well as various business partners. The District Manager maintains a highly visible presence in assigned stores and assists in resolving issues in a timely and optimally productive manner, and must use sound judgement to determine the best possible outcome in sometimes ambiguous situations. The District Manager will be responsible for leading Store Leaders and cascading the Columbia mission of “Connecting Active People With Their Passions” through coaching, execution and accountability. Acts as a mentor and leader to other leaders with in the Region.
- Consult with Regional Manager on performance of assigned stores.
- Perform regular store visits to assigned stores.
- Provide guidance to ensure budget, financial goals and expense targets are met. Manage and maintain weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting and forecasting by store in district.
- Review operational reports and records to ensure adherence to Company policies and procedures, monitor store profitability.
- Develop productive partnership with the merchant team regarding inventory, margins, liquidation, and understanding needs of stores. Assist in implementing and managing the inventory levels within the stores.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of the most qualified managers, key holders and staff to meet the stores’ needs. Ensure proper hiring tools and training are utilized.
- Assist with new store openings and/or store closures as needed.
- Possess in-depth understanding of the market to maintain competitive awareness by continuously monitoring the competition in assigned district.
- Serve as Change Agent in implementation of new processes, policies or procedures; partner with Regional Manager, business leaders and/or store management teamsto implement change.
- Partner with store management teams to maintain our brand image through store appearance and strong execution of merchandising and marketing initiatives.
- Set key sales, operational and human capital management goals and expectations and ensure those standards are met through proactive coaching and developing staff.
- Train, motivate, encourage and provide constructive guidance to store managers and teams related to all areas of effective store operations. Provide store management team with a fun, supportive environment.
- Empower teams to solve problems that affect the store’s service, efficiency, and productivity.
- Bachelor’s degree, applicable certification or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years store management experience required; 8+ years of retail management experience is preferred.
- Complex and/or high volume departmental or multi-unit/site management required.
- Ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with customers and company personnel, provide coaching and mentoring to staff, troubleshoot, solve problems and make decisions in partnership with Store Management, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Effective management of remote teams. Prompt response/return of phone calls, emails and requests for information or assistance.
- Skill in operating personal computers, POS systems and various software packages including Microsoft Word and Excel are needed.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Job requires hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
- Job pressure of continually developing new creative ideas and dealing with multiple locations exists.
- Ability to work a full time schedule including nights, weekends and holidays exists.
- Travel by airline and auto, domestically, estimated 50% plus of time. Overnight travel is required; including occasional weekend travel.
- Physical requirements include the ability to use telephone, computerized systems; perform repetitive movements of the arms and shoulders, stand for extended periods of time up to 8 hours per day, move freely around store, bend, twist, reach, squat, climb a ladder and regularly lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age